Skip to main content

TEFL Graduate Spotlight - John Stanlake from WorldTeach





  Graduate Spotlights are stories from graduates from The Language House TEFL in Prague. This is one is from John Stanlake, graduate of The Language House TEFL.



Language House TEFL graduate John Stanlake
John graduated from the Language House in March 2009. He has since taught in the UK, Rwanda, and Bangladesh and he speaks here about how and why he got into teaching, why he chose the Language House, and about WorldTeach, the volunteer teaching organisation he volunteered with in Rwanda.

How did you get into teaching?
In all honesty I had never really planned to be a teacher. It just kind of happened due to circumstances and because of some choices which inadvertently led me onto that path! I studied Politics and International Relations at university and directly after this I worked in local government for a while. For a number of reasons I decided I needed a change, so I applied to volunteer with WorldTeach. Looking back now I am certain I made the right decision and the experiences I have gained from teaching in the past few years have made me incredibly grateful for the fact I ended up on this path.

Why did you choose Rwanda?

During one particular class in grad school we began discussing the genocide in Rwanda. I was shocked by how little I knew of this unimaginable tragedy and from that day I became kind of obsessed with trying to understand more about the whole event. My grad school thesis focused on how gender played a significant part in the genocide, and as I researched more about Rwanda I soon realized that I wanted and needed to go there somehow. I did a Google search one day and found WorldTeach, an organisation that sends volunteer teachers to a number of developing countries worldwide. They had just started sending teachers to Rwanda and it seemed a perfect fit.

Why did you choose the Language House?
After signing up for the WorldTeach Rwanda program I began to feel apprehensive about the idea of teaching in a totally unfamiliar environment for a whole year. At this point I had no direct teaching experience, and barely any public speaking experience either, so the thought of standing up in front of 50 students in a Rwandan classroom was daunting! I decided if I was going to get the most out of this experience and be an effective teacher for my future students I should get some proper training before I left for Africa. I began thinking about TEFL courses and one evening an advert appeared on Facebook! It was an advert for the Language House and as soon as I read the website I knew this was the course and the school for me, and I don’t regret my decision for one minute. The Language House provided one of the most entertaining months of my life! The instruction was fantastic and the support I received from the course instructors and my fellow TEFL students was always a great motivator. By the end of the course I felt incredibly well equipped to teach. Prague also provided the perfect location. I then spent the next few months teaching in both Prague and the UK before departing for Rwanda.

Why volunteer with WorldTeach?

WorldTeach is a well-established education NGO initially founded by a group of students from Harvard. They began in Kenya in 1986 and since then the organisation has grown and now sends teachers to 17 different countries worldwide. Volunteering with WorldTeach is a life-changing experience as you become truly immersed in your school and host community. Whether you want to teach in a village in the Tanzanian savannah, the urban hub of Bogota, teaching orphans in India, on a remote island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, in the dense rainforests of Guyana, or in a isolated village in Namibia, WorldTeach can send you there! WorldTeach also offers the option of full year, semester, or summer long placements so you have the ability to choose a timeframe that works for you.  My experience with WorldTeach is something I’ll never forget. I lived in a Rwandan village and it was a whole year of new challenges and experiences, and it’s difficult to put into words quite how important that year was to me.

What are you doing now?

After a period teaching at a university in Bangladesh I am now back working with WorldTeach as the Field Director for their Guyana program. In this role I provide field support and manage the program and the group of volunteers here. WorldTeach is a very close organisation and it is the preferred policy to hire people who have previously volunteered with them.

What advice would you give to future TEFL graduates?

Use your TEFL qualification to see the world! There are so many interesting places in need of dedicated teachers, and although at times it can seem a daunting experience, this feeling will soon subside upon getting to know your students and the community.

If you would like to know more about WorldTeach and the opportunities they offer, visit the website www.worldteach.org. They are currently recruiting for a number of different programs and would be extremely happy to hear from you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESL Lesson Plan - Passive Voice - Crime Scene

Here's a lesson for solid intermediates and up with a language focus on the passive voice and crime lexis. At the end of the lesson, students take the roles of police officers and have to give a press briefing to the media about a crime scene that they witnessed. Ideally, you will need an empty room to set up a crime scene for the activation and a language school that is ok with you trashing things around a bit. There are other ways to get around this, if this is not possible. * I create tailored lesson plans for anyone who wants them. If you want me to create you a lesson from scratch, contact me, and I'll do one for you. Please follow my blog on the right to show your support. Introduction: just a couple of min. Do any of the following. 1. Show a clip from a movie that shows a police officer giving a press briefing to the media 2. Come in and immediately address the class as if they are police officers 3. Have a picture of a police chalk outline and ask students wh

Past Modals Intermediate Lesson Plan: "The Worst Week Ever"

Here's a lesson plan that is suitable for Intermediate and Upper Intermediate language students with past modal verbs being the focus. The lesson requires only about 15 minutes of prep to pull off and has a heavy focus on speaking. I recommend doing this lesson for groups of students who already have a decent understanding of past participles. Take a look! I also have a video demonstration of this lesson plan in action that I've posted below. Intro: 1 minute Come into class asking students how their day is going. Have a glass of water with you that you are drinking. When you they ask you about your day, spill the water all over yourself. Elicit the concept of having a bad day. Lead In: 5-7 minutes Demo out the questions and put students in groups 1. Do you often have bad days? 2. What are three things that can typically happen to make a day go wrong? 3. What are 4 bad, but funny, things that have happened to you this year? Target Language: 10 minutes  Before i

ESL Lesson Plan - Create your own Movie - Lexis

  Here's a lesson for intermediate students and up that involves the students making a mock movie and pitching it to a movie studio.   Introduction: just a few minutes.  Come in pretending to be a director and mime filming the class. Elicit the concept of movies or film.  Lead in: around 7 minutes. Demo these questions out and put students in groups to answer them. 1. Do you like watching movies? What is your favorite movie? 2. What good movies have you seen this last year? 3. Who is your favorite actor and director? Why? 4. What well known movies have been made in your country? Lexis: around 10 minutes. Elicit and CCQ the following an actor, a star, a lead role, a supporting role a director a producer a plot a cast a setting a genre a thriller a horror movie a comedy, a black comedy, a romantic comedy a drama a documentary to pitch (a movie) a twist Study 1: around 5 minutes. Matching with strips. Students match the definition with the word with